This past Sunday, I was enjoying an evening with my
boyfriend and his family watching TV when I got a phone call I never imagined I
would get. My sixteen year old cousin was in an accident; there was bleeding in
his brain, he was on oxygen, and they didn't know if he would make it. I was
completely shocked. How could this be happening? Eager for more information, I
anxiously awaited more phone calls. Throughout the evening and the next day,
more details flooded in. Noah, my cousin, was being pulled behind a car on a
skateboard at thirty miles an hour when he flew off and hit his head. He had always
done stupid things, like the “cinnamon challenge”, but never anything as
dangerous as this. As a result, he suffered from two skull fractures, a basilar
bleed, and a frontal lobe contusion. Thankfully, despite what was originally
thought, Noah was moved from the ICU this morning and will begin in-patient
rehab soon. While my family can breathe easier knowing his life isn't at risk,
the way he lives his life will definitely have to change. We have yet to find
out how much damage there is to his personality, behaviors, fine motor skills,
or language and articulation which can all be affected by such a serious head
injury. Just in case those effects aren't enough, the sports that Noah has
worked so hard in will most likely have to be put in the past. He will be a
walking example of how one stupid decision in his teens can damage the rest of
his life.
How incredibly sad.
ReplyDelete