Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Is Bigger Better?

“Living (and Dying) Large” by Ali Bizzul is all about football players and their weight gain. Many players are trying to gain weight in attempts to be more desirable to future coaches. While this seems smart, it is actually very dangerous. Players who are obese and overweight have a greater likelihood of heatstroke, heart disease, and weakening of their cartilage. Even though coaches say that weight is not as important to them as skill, the players just aren’t getting the memo. This essay was an eye-opener to me for many reasons. For one, when people, myself included, think of athletes we picture fit individuals. More often than not, I never think of serious athletes as being obese. According to this essay, many football players—linebackers in particular—are in the overweight to obese levels of the BMI scale. For two, players often know about the health risks, and even the deaths, caused by obesity. It’s hard for me to fathom how an athlete can know about something that serious and not try to correct it or make any effort in prevention. In high school, I was a varsity basketball player until I was forced into retirement by a heart condition; if there was anything I could do to prevent getting that condition and save my basketball career I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, my condition wasn’t preventable nor was there any warning. These athletes have plenty of warning. They need to take advantage and protect their futures in athletics!

No comments:

Post a Comment