I read, “In Praise of Chain Stores” by Virginia
Postrel in chapter ten of Joining the
Conversation: Writing in College and Beyond. Any news I’ve ever heard about
chain stores has been negative. Everything from them destroying small, local
businesses to supporting labor from outside the U.S. has been thrown into the
mix. Now these may have some value, but I’ve grown up always wanting to see the
best in things. I also have grown up enjoying occasional shopping at the mall
and eating fast food when I’m in a rush. Sometimes, it’s hard not to feel
guilty for supporting chain stores due to all the negatives being passed
around. This article by Postrel shed light on the positives of chain stores
within the United States. These stores are comfortable to American citizens,
they’ve proven themselves time and time again. When people make a move from one
side of the country to the other, they know that they will be able to find a
Starbucks there or a Wal-Mart there that can ease their transition; it’s like
having a little piece of familiarity no matter where you go. Postrel also
argues the point that it’s not the stores or restaurants that make a community,
it’s the memories and the climate and the scenery. People focus too much on the
brands that spatter the buildings when all they have to do is look at the
people around them. While I will admit that their are negatives that come with
chain stores here in America, I am glad that someone took the time to point out
that there is so much more to a community than the brands that are within them.
No comments:
Post a Comment