Donovan Mikrot wrote an essay titled “Download This:
Why Digital Rights Management is a Bad Idea for Hollywood.” Within this essay,
he gives information about digital rights management software that prevents
people to “rip” the music or videos that they have purchased. To an average
American citizen this seems like a great idea, it ensures that the companies
and artists responsible get the funds that they worked for. Mikrot, however,
informs us that this is in fact detrimental to the technological advancements,
consumers, and media companies. I found this article to be very interesting for
many reasons. For one, I grew up thinking “ripping” things was wrong, people
deserve what they work for, but this essay shows the good that can come from
being able to. For two, Mikrot points out that a consumer who pays for a
product has the right to be able to use it in whatever way they want for their
personal use. DRM can obstruct this from occurring. And finally, I learned that
having barriers such as DRM can prevent developments in the technological
realm. Mikrot used the example that before a copyright act was in place,
inventors were able to create the VCR. After the copyright act, this technology
was seen as illegal. This seems like such a trivial thing, but looking back on
my childhood technology such as the VCR is a big part of my memories. I wish
Hollywood could read this essay and take Mikrot’s advice.
No comments:
Post a Comment